WORKSHOP: Edible Weeds Unearthed
with Kate Wall
Join consulting gardener and weed expert Kate Wall for an immersive experience to discover the hidden treasures that are so often overlooked in your garden - weeds. Kate will take you on a "weed wander" around the gardens at Millen Farm, identifying and discussing ways to use them in cooking or home medicinal use.
Ready to unearth the hidden world of edible weeds? Book in below.
EDIBLE WEEDS UNEARTHED
- September 9th, 2023
- 10am - 12pm
- Millen Farm, Qld, 4520
From dandelions to chickweed, purslane to nettles, you will learn to appreciate these so-called "unwanted" plants in a whole new way. Learn what they tell you about local soil, as well as ways that you can use them in your cooking, and home remedies. Gain confidence to confidently forage for food and medicine right outside your door!
What you will learn:
- Learn how to identify often-overlooked edible weeds and distinguish them from their inedible counterparts
- Discover how to incorporate them into salads, stir-fries, pestos, smoothies, and more, unlocking their unique flavors and enhancing your meals with natural, nutritious ingredients.
- Gain practical knowledge on how to address common ailments using these natural remedies - including herbal infusions, salves, and poultices.
- How to make a delicious "weed pesto" from the weeds foraged around the Farm.
What is included?
- Free onsite parking
- Morning tea including Weed Pesto & Crackers
What do I need to bring?
- Please wear closed shoes, and come prepared to walk on uneven ground.
- A hat, water bottle and sunscreen.
- If you would like to bring a basket and scissors you can collect a sample of the edible weeks along the way.
We welcome all levels of experience from beginners to weed enthusiasts alike.
This workshop is held at Millen Community Farm. 2204 Mt Samson Rd, Samford Valley, Qld, 4520.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
“The Australian Institute of Horticulture congratulates you Kate on this very insightful and educating book on weed management”
Australian Institute of Horticulture
2021 Australian Institute of Horticulture Merit Award.
“I attended Kate's workshop about 3 years ago, and I was enralled. Since then, I have incorporated eating edible weeds into my diet, and I am keen to deepen my knowledge. I highly recommend Kate's workshops. ”
Director, Growing Made Simple
“I have so many of Kate's workshops, and I love them. I have learnt so much, and Kate is incredibly knowledgeable. Highly recommend. ”
About Your Educator
Kate is one of Australia’s leading weed experts. She has an international following through her writings and her own garden has featured on television and numerous gardening magazines.
Kate’s work has seen her receive peer recognition and industry awards, including: 2021 Award of Merit from the Australian Institute of Horticulture for Working With Weeds
2022 Anita Boucher Award from the Horticulture Media Association Australia.
Kate is the author of three award winning gardening books, including Working With Weeds; a practical guide to understanding, using and managing weeds, Earth Repair Gardening; The lazy gardener’s guide to saving the Earth, and Gardening After A Flood. Kate will have copies available for purchase.